From Gabor Ratky <>
Subject Re: Uploading CSV data to Couchapp
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:31:36 GMT

we're doing something similar, where we push data we initially receive as CSV into CouchDB.
As we receive multiple CSVs and need to do transformations on them, we first load it into
a SQLite DB locally (where the processing happens), perform the transformations that include
some relational queries (hence the SQLite) then iterate through the data and push it into
CouchDB using a (hierarchical) document structure that makes the most sense for our documents.
We're using Ruby and the couchrest gem (just because we've been using it for other purposes
and this was the easiest), which batches up document creates and updates into batches of 500
documents (or whatever fits you) to reduce the HTTP overhead.

As we also need to do updates to documents and check for their existence, this can incur quite
a few HTTP requests with big payloads so closer you are to CouchDB the better (preferably
local to it).

I haven't really thought of doing this 'inside CouchDB' and not sure how that would be possible.
Talking to CouchDB with whatever tools (we also use node.js and would be a great candidate
for this as well) would be done through the HTTP API in my mind. If there are any other interesting
ways of doing processing on CouchDB documents (such as a hypothetical 'uploaded_csv' document)
that is as close to CouchDB as the JS View Engine is, I'd love to hear it.

View raw message