From Mark Hahn <m...@boutiquing.com>
Subject Re: Hot Tub, an editor for CouchDB
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2011 04:50:07 GMT
This list of futon suggestions is in random order and it is somewhat random
in that I can't remember everything right now.

Suggested Futon (or futon replacement) features ...

0) Having features of Hot Tub.  :-)

Easy creation of new docs, customized doc appearance, attachment management,
etc.  The features in Hot Tub already covers several items in my futon bitch
list.  If hot tub doesn't present traditional form entry and editing then
consider that to be on this list.

1) Persistence.

I hate coming back to a view listing, even just using the browser back
button, and seeing the sorting reverted to descending keys and positioned
back to the beginning of the output.  In general I would like to have the
option to see what I saw before when opening futon.  I know the view data
may be different, but there are several ways to approximate the positioning.

2) Getting to common functions.

I should be able to switch DBs, save a document, etc. without scrolling like
crazy and making multiple clicks.  Using CSS position:fixed would be nice.
 Also, the list of options for a DB, like design docs, temp view, switching
views, etc. should be available when you are on a DB no matter how deep you
are.  Often I have to click on a DB to get to that menu.

3) Query-like filtering.

Futon doesn't support entering a key or startkey/endkey.  It supports
putting in an ID directly, why not a key?   It should not only support this
limited couch querying, but should also support complex queries.  It could
load large sets of docs and filter them based on doc contents.  It would be
nice if it was smart enough to use startkey and endkey where it could.  It
might even use temp views when it makes sense.

4) Caching.

I would happily live with slightly old data to speed things up.  There could
be a refresh button for the cache.  This feature would not only be nice by
itself, but it would make other features I'm listing here more feasible.

5) Background loading.

Why not keep loading a view after it displays one page?  This would work
well with the caching and also help the other items listed here.

5) Hopping through long views.

It would be nice to hit the H key and see the list positioned to the first
key that starts with H.  Of course supporting multiple keys would be nice.

6) Saved logins.

I would like to have a list of recently used logins and be able to login
with one click.  This is safe if it requires a root login in the beginning.

7) Multiple DB hosts.

Much like the saved logins, I would like to switch hosts with a single
click.

8) Easier replication.

I hate typing in an entire url for replication.  A recently-used list of
urls would be nice.  As a matter of fact, recently used complete replication
setups would be nice.

6) Tabs.

Having multiple tabs with a separate instances of futon open in each tab
works, but for some reason I find it painful.  Tabs in the app would help.
 The tabs could share caches and background processing in some cases.

--
Mark Hahn
Website Manager