From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The new couchapp. [cr]
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2011 13:11:01 GMT
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Gabor Ratky <rgabo@rgabostyle.com> wrote:
> Don't mean to be negative wrt the original python couchapp and the new one in development,
but we've moved over to soca (sammy on couchapp) that comes with a nice ruby (thor-based)
CLI. It also lets go of the quirky, albeit logical directory structure that couchapp enforces
on you. It loses 'clone' functionality in the process but we end up with a much more straightforward
project where its much easier to use coffeescript, compass as post-build pre-push hooks and
extending it is also very simple. It also comes with Sammy.js instead of evently which I find
much better suited for couchapps (being a Sinatra fan, to be fair).

soca may be a good tool for those who want to use sammy . One sure
thing is that pre/push hooks exists since 0.4 in couchapp. It's a
matter of 10-20 lines to add support for compass in couchapp and use
it. Compression exists too via pre-push compress hook and one could
write its own hook to manage it differently.  About the format used by
couchapp on the disk, it's important to note that it can be overridden
by adding your own layer on top. The eclipse extension does it so as
coffeeapp a coffee-script wrapper of couchapp.

The goal of couchapp is to be a simple tool that could be extended
easily to your own need. I'm not for example using evently nor sammy
nor compass but my own ugly js code with couchapp and it works. If
people want to use it to send a couchapp written in python or erlang
they could also too. You can your own command too, autopush is one
extended command for example and i've some people having a config
command too allowing them to manage couchdb config, dump the db ...

> Being a Ruby shop, it was the logical move for us but in general I find it a lot easier
to comprehend and to work with. Having an Erlang configuration file suddenly pop up in my
couchapp would not help the situation.

I was thinking that the format could be easier to write, but anyway
the json format will be kept in next version since this is the wish of
most :)

- benoƮt