From Ryan Ramage <>
Subject Re: Help needed: is couchDB a good fit for my app?
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2011 16:39:42 GMT
You might want some architecture like this:

                  [] Public Docs db           |
                                                      |  <----- hosted
[] User 1db    [] User 2 db  []....         |

[] User1 phone db   [] User 2 Phonedb   []....

My ascii art is not very good :)

Then have replication between phone and user db. Then have replication
from Userdb to public docs db with a filter to take out private

Does that work?

2011/4/20 Clément Vollet <>:
> Hello everybody,
> First of all, I want to say that I'm quite impressed with couchDB so far
> (I didn't know anaything about it two days ago...).
> Second, I'd really want to use it for my app (I stumbled upon couchdb
> searching for a database that fits my requirements in fact). I manage to
> cross a few items off my list, but I'm still not sure couchDB is a good
> fit, and my boss wants an answer by tomorrow.
> So, to summarize what I want to do (it's really simple in fact): I'd
> want to be able to have a list of public documents, have a list of tags
> definition (name, default value, possible values...), and then users can
> *privately* tag those documents. So, the items and the tag definitions
> are public, the tag values are private. And finally, I'd like to be able
> to have stats on those values, like XX% of the users used the same value
> for this document and this tag.
> And that's it. It would be in a phone app, and I'd really like to use
> replication to have a client cache for values and an offline mode. There
> would of course also be a central server for bootstrap, updates,
> reliability, ...
> So, CouchDB seems like a really good fit, but I'm stuck on the privacy
> thing. What I came with so far, was to have separate documents for
> items, tags, and tag values, but how can I make sure only the user who
> wrote the value can read it without per document authorization (I
> already read the wiki page about that, but none of the solution seems
> ideal)?
> Best regards,
> Clément

View raw message