From Kinley Dorji <kinl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB's advantages over MongoDB
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:21:29 GMT
And to go a little further off topic (but perhaps closer to the truth):

Po (Kung Fu Panda):  "There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness."

Could well apply to CouchDB. :)

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Just a quick, kinda off-topic note,
>
> I'd like to thank everyone for a fair and balanced discussion. This
> could turn into sticky discussion but you all kept it civilised.
>
> Personally, I'm biased towards CouchDB, no surprise here, but it is
> no surprise either that other people are enthusiastic about others,
> especially MongoDB and I'm happy that we all get along :)
>
> Keep up the good chatting :)
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

> On 15 Apr 2011, at 16:59, John Taber wrote:
>
>> On 04/15/2011 07:04 AM, Sean Copenhaver wrote:
>>> CouchDB tries to make sure everything you do allows it to continue to scale
>>> with good performance. So all the database functions are pretty much
>>> isolated and can have no side effects. Easy example of the benefits of this
>>> is the incremental map and reduce. I would be curious to know how MongoDB's
>>> performance goes once you use a dynamic query on a data set that does not
>>> fit into memory.
>>
>> Mongo sometimes crashing during development (and then, reading other comments on
the web) was why I thought Couch was worth exploring myself - and in my limited experiments,
Couch never had a hiccup.   And yes, the REST api is really nice (cries out for a cool Sammy
client, Node backend design) and makes Rails or LAMP seem so outdated.  My tests never scaled
it up big enough to compare performance at huge data levels and so far, haven't run into that
problem with Mongo.

>> But I found the Couch built-in Auth process limiting and confusing and then became
bogged down trying to get good map-reduce queries, and then didn't really get the node-backend
concept working  - I simply had to cut the time bleeding.    Whatever documentation, forum
queries, etc I found seems split between server and couchapps - I found this really confusing.
  Couchapp is nice, just not something on our radar.

>> btw - I view Futon or Mongo command line as simply nice ways for developers to either
see, check, or debug something and not a good systematic way to manage - scripts are much
more trackable.  Mongo's command line is nice and I found simpler than using a GUI (again
YMMV).

>> So for me, it was a decision of not enough time and budget for us to play around
with Couch and instead, get things out with Mongo and hope any stability issues work themselves
out.  YMMV.    And I post this with the hope that someone who has figured out some of these
issues using Couch gets inspired to write up some good blogs/posts/gists  (or we can get
enough development funds to work out issues ourselves) to enable us using Couch more in the
future.

>> Meanwhile, I really, really like the JSON / NoSQL approach that both Couch and Mongo
offer over the traditional SQL world.