From Chad Cross <chadcr...@gmail.com>
Subject A Call to Arms: Fighting the SharePoint/SQL Mobile Development Stack
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 12:58:22 GMT
All,

I'm in the middle of what could be a very interesting opportunity for my
company and I'm in need of assistance.

Our accounting system, Microsoft Dynamics SL, is central to everything we
do.  Right now we have a need for a mobile app that interacts with a very
small subset of data stored in this system.  Currently, others in my tiny IT
department are pushing hard and evaluating a solution that involves
SharePoint 2010 (which we already own) for hosting, InfoPath for form
creation, and 3rd party wrappers that allow the "application" to be accessed
via Android, Windows Mobile 6.5, and iOS.  Those wrappers include Mobile
Entree <http://www.mobileentree.com/>,
SharePlus<http://www.southlabs.com/detail.aspx?id=SharePlus>,
and others that they discover every day.

Their biggest concern is concurrency.  The idea that a service technician
could be in the field and interacting with the software to pull down
information about a specific trouble ticket, walk into an area without
coverage, and still be able to input data.  When they return to coverage,
the app should handle pushing that data back to the database without
encountering concurrency issues.

I'm sure some of you have experience battling suits when it comes to
proposing alternative solutions (and in my case, "alternative" means
non-Microsoft), so I would like for anyone that has experience with CouchDB
and MS-SQL interaction to please chime in!

Thanks!

-Chad

P.S. For you Twitter users, please retweet!
https://twitter.com/#!/TheChadCross/status/58871610505039872