From Aroj George <>
Subject Multi-tenancy in Couch
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:45:34 GMT

What's the best way to implement multi-tenancy in couch?

In the sql world you could choose to do either a tenant id key in every
table or separate schemas for each tenant or even separate database

Similarly in couch i guess you can store each tenant's document in a
separate database. This seems a very simple option.
But then is there a max limit on the number of databases we can create in

The other option, not too hard either, is to have the tenant id as the first
key in all the views and use the startkey to filter out the tenants.

Will greatly appreciate if you can share your thoughts on which approach is
ideal and will scale better.
Or if there are more approaches that I have not thought off.