From Luis Miguel Silva <luismiguelferreirasi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Update conflicts?
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 06:23:24 GMT
Sorry if my last email was too big :o).

Well, one reason i wanted to avoid doing that is because it didn't
seem as easy to maintain as my original approach but i'll discuss your
suggestion with my team to see what they have to say.
Also, i just couldn't get join to work :o\...

How would you create a view that joins data from those different types
of documents to create a single complete view of a node?
I've read the documentation on view joins but simply could not get it
to work :o\...

Thank you,
Luis

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Ryan Ramage <ryan.ramage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis,
>
> Thats a lot to take in, but a quick suggestion.
>
> Have a parent doc that looks like this:
> {
>    id: node1,
>        type: node,
>    location: blah,
> }
>
> and some 'children' docs that look like this
>
> {
>    id: 3232323323223-32323232322-3232,
>        timestamp: 1299794532000,
>    type: cpu,
>    node: node1,
>    cpu: 0.94,
>    ccores: 4,
>     acores: 4,
>     cmemory: 4096,
>    amemory: 1024
> }
>
> and
> {
>    id: 3232323323223-32323232322-3232,
>        timestamp: 1299794532000,
>    type: disk,
>    node: node1,
>    disk: 100000
> }
> and
> {
>    id: 433432323323223-3232323322332,
>        timestamp: 1299794532000,
>    type: netio,
>    node: node1,
>    in: 100,
>    out: 200
> }
> and
> {
>    id: 323432423432534534-534534-543534534
>        timestamp: 1299794532000,
>    type: generic,
>    node: node1,
>    name: "foo",
>    value: "bar"
> }
>
> create a status view
> "node_status" : function (doc) {
>        if (doc.type != 'node') {
>                emit([doc.node, doc.type, doc.timestamp],null);
>        }
> }
>
> This allows you to not have to ever update a doc. Just keep inserting.
> Couchdb is good at that.
>

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Luis Miguel Silva
> <luismiguelferreirasilva@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for your email Ryan.
>>
>> Let me give you some more information on what i'm trying to do...
>> Essentially, i have to create a "sort of CMDB" system that stores, not only configuration
data, but also operational data (so...i guess you could call it a OMDB instead).

>> Either way, my company develops a meta-scheduler that can be used for HPC or Cloud
environments. It will guarantee that your resources are used the best way possible, maximizing
their usage, based on the policies you set up in it.

>> To do that, our software needs to be aware of how the environment looks and this
is why an OMDB piece is very important for us (as it allows us to store information on the
environment).

>> Also, our software talks with external resource managers by a protocol we developed
more than a dozen years ago called "WIKI" (not as in "wikipedia" but, WIKI as in the hawayan
word for fast). That protocol is heavily based around key/value pairs so this is one of the
reasons i was EXTREMELY excited to find out that, with CouchDB's "view" functionality, i would
be able to map document attributes to more meaningful attributes that our software understands
(i.e. map the document's "available_cores" attribute to "ccores" [the "consumable cores" parameter
our software understands]).

>> Another important thing to notice is that resources can be off different types: node
(for bare metal nodes), vm (for vms running on nodes) and storage (we can actually have more
data types but those are enough to exemplify what i'm talking about).

>> This is why i created those "big documents" instead of smaller ones!
>> For instance, each document would represent an entire node (i.e. procs, memory, etc).
>>
>> So my idea was to have an external process initially populate the database with documents
representing ALL the nodes we are managing (hence why i started my benchmarks with 100K increments)
and OTHER external processes (i.e. other types of resource managers) would update individual
attributes in each document.

>> Let's imagine a document with id "node01":
>> These fields would be updated by an agent that collected some of the hardware specs:\
>>        ccores: 4 // total cores on machine
>>        acores: 4 // available cores on machine
>>        cmemory: 4096 // total memory on machine
>>        amemory: 1024 // available memory
>>        cpuload: 94%
>> This field would be updated by our storage resource manager:
>>        GMETRIC["disk"]: 1000000
>> And, for instance, these fields would be updated by a network resource manager:
>>        GMETRIC["NETIO"]: { "in":100, "out":200 }
>>
>> So, as you can see, different processes would manage the same document (just different
attributes in it).

>> And the REALLY cool thing about the Views is the fact that our customers could VERY
easily adapt the database so that it would store THEIR extra data and shove it in a generic
parameter that our software woulder understand [i.e. the GMETRIC parameters are generic metrics...).

>> So, based on these requirements, do you have any suggestions on how we should store
our data (keeping its structure easy enough for external consumers to maintain it without
having to bust their heads figuring out the logic behind the document attributes)?? :o)