From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: triggering all (necessary) view update
Date Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:15:14 GMT
add ?stale=ok to prevent blocking for the updates to be applied.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Querying_Options

B.

On 30 April 2011 17:08, Jim Klo <jim.klo@sri.com> wrote:
> I've been watching this thread, and thanks for bit of roadmap update - I'd love to see
a better plugin architecture.

> Back to updating views, along the same lines of triggering updates, is there a way to
make the view updates non-blocking? I can handle scripting the updates and eventual consistency
- but I can't handle the 2 - 5 minutes of blocking it takes for each view to update after
a few thousand docs are added.

> - Jim
>
> On Apr 30, 2011, at 7:32 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Magie,
>>
>> I didn't read your post as offensive, don't worry. The problem is
>> mostly that compaction is an intensive process so scheduling it
>> automatically is tricky; the right schedule will vary by use case. I
>> can see the scheduler becoming very complicated in order to
>> accommodate as many cases as possible.
>>
>> I think it would be better done externally, even if that's in the form
>> of some kind of official couchdb plugin or addon. Once the next couple
>> of releases are behind us (1.0.3 and 1.1.0), we'll be reorganizing the
>> source tree to make things more manageable (and separated). That would
>> be a good time to consider a compaction scheduler add-on.
>>
>> B.

:)