From Nikolai Teofilov <n.teofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Monitoring system based on CouchDB?
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:41:55 GMT
Hi all,

I need a help on a concept for a monitoring system based on CouchDB. I have master server
with a database "status" and several, around 20 nodes machines (the number of machines will
grow) performing some logging on a local instances of CouchDB. Each local machine (node) has
a database "status" as well and logs realtime data in a single document named as the computer.
The idea is to monitor all the data from all node machines in a single database on the master
server. The final result should be a database that is a collection of documents named as the
computer names of all node machines and each document reflect the current status of the node.
Then it will be easy to have long-poll handler for monitoring and rendering the changes of
all machines on the master server as a status panel...

I made a local db "status" on each node machine and started a continuous replication to the
master server "status" database. The problem is that some of the logging processes on the
node machines are working over hours and can involve logs each second. This will reflect on
the size of the master database. How to handle this correctly? I can compact the master target
database from time to time remotely. Is this a good idea or is there any other way to make
continuous replication with kind of auto compact feature? Would a compacting from time to
time will affect somehow the other continuous replications?

The second problem I have is once I delete (recreate) the source local "status" database the
old instance of the continuous replication does not work for the new created database. I have
a kind of workaround be canceling the old continuous replication and triggered it again. This
work well but I am not sure if I can expect some other problems somehow.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks
Nikolai