From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replication performance: pull vs. push
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 23:54:33 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Filipe David Manana <fdmanana@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM, kowsik <kowsik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My gut tells me the second case will be better for performance since
>> the TCP connection (for the _changes feed) from A to B persists and
>> the docs are sent one way without making a request (and hence less
>> data transmitted per change). Is my hypothesis correct? I haven't yet
>> looked at the packets to understand the differences between the two
>> scenarios. But maybe someone else has already.
>
> This scenario changes with the new replicator (in trunk only) which
> adds more parallelism and the difference between pull and push
> replications is much shorter now.
>
> Recently Wayne Conrad tried out this new replicator and saw much
> better performance/behaviour compared to the old one:
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/couchdb-user/201103.mbox/%3CAANLkTimqLv5LzdeLBdLSmU1GOD0DO7zgPyqmK8LLnpYk@mail.gmail.com%3E

Awesome! I have a follow up question on replication. I'm using couch
as a message bus so have a lot of short-lived documents that come and
go. Based on a previous thread, my understanding is that these
documents are kept around in a deleted state forever for conflict
resolution. If OTOH, I purge these documents, do the purge changes get
propagated through replication?

Also is there a way in _all_docs to walk just the deleted documents so
that I can purge them?

Thanks,

K.
---