From Stefan Matheis <matheis.ste...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Online-Offline URL strategy
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:06:51 GMT
Ryan,

i think the basic problem is .. that you would need one "instance"
that can decide which way to go (local or remote), especially with
Situation 3, where application-specific logic is required (you're
online, but you want to work locally).

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Ryan Ramage <ryan.ramage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Situation 1.
> So lets say I am ROAMING with no inet connection. I open a  word
> document on my local machine, which contains the link:
>
> http://remote.app.com/db/doc
>
> When I click on the link, would there be a way that it get redirected
> to http://local.app.com/db/doc

This would never work .. because when you can't reach remote.app.com,
it's stopping there .. and nothing is trying to redirect you somewhere
else.

My first Idea while reading your post, was something like a lokal
proxy/gateway. Which could (however) check if the remote one is at
least available, and (based on specific rules) should be used .. or
the local one.

That said .. perhaps it would help to stay with one hostname, and try
to modify the dns settings and solve it that way? don't know if that's
possible, something like .. w/o dns-server, use 127.0.0.1 for app.com,
otherwise, overwrite this record with the fetched dns-information?

Regards
Stefan