From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: [erlang-questions] Re: Differences in Erlang shells in Windows
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:35:45 GMT
On 29 March 2011 08:22, Koener Antoine <antoine.koener@gmail.com> wrote:
>> is of the shells "erl.exe" and "werl.exe". I'm kind of new to this, and I
>> want to make sure I am using the right one.
>
> Easy:
> erl.exe don't handle completion, (i.e. TAB is a \t) and runs in 'cmd.exe'
> werl.exe is autonomous, you can change the font, you have completion (TAB
> completes)
>
> erl.exe is needed to launch a service (see erlsrv)
> werl.exe is the prefered window shell.
>
> Finally experiment yourself, you'll find that werl is the only way to go on
> windows...
>
> On Mar 28, 2011, at 20:54 , Daniel wrote:
>
>> Hello, I am using the Windows build of the latest Erlang. I am just
>> curious as to what the difference in functionality is of the shells
>> "erl.exe" and "werl.exe". I'm kind of new to this, and I want to make sure I
>> am using the right one.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Daniel

Antoine is correct; for interactive usage werl.exe is the way to go.

For services you have to use erl.exe (via erlsrv.exe) & there is an
upstream bug COUCHDB-963 / OTP-9139 which I'm currently putting a
build together for to incorporate this fix into CouchDB. It should be
up in ~ 24h on my unofficial build repo
https://github.com/dch/couchdb/downloads/

Feel free to post any questions back - I think I've finally got my
head around all of this muck & I'd like to know what features the
community needs or wants improving / documenting.

Cheers
Dave