From Mark Hahn <>
Subject Re: blocking during view generation
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 03:15:10 GMT
Can some please direct me to where this behavior is documented?  I
just went over the technical description again and this is not
mentioned there.  Here is the closest thing I could find and it
doesn't seem to agree with my experience. (From

"CouchDB’s core design is largely optimized around the need for
efficient, incremental creation of views and their indexes."

What is "incremental" about blocking everything for a long time while
views/indexes are created?

I don't mean to be bitchy, and I am sure I will be able to use one of
the many suggestions to ameliorate this problem, but I should not have
to be in production after months of development before discovering

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Mark Hahn <> wrote:
> Apparently I have a lot of solutions to work with.  I was quite
> worried after first seeing this.
> P.S. I studied couch at great lengths for months and I never saw this,
> or at least I didn't see the implications.  It needs to be discussed
> at more length or more specifically in the manual (book?).
> P.P.S.  Is the book ever going to be updated?  I'd pay for a hard copy.
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Gabor Ratky <> wrote:
>> If blocking and blocking only is the problem and you're OK with stale data, passing
?stale=ok might solve your problem with blocking. See
for more details.
>> Gabor
>> On Mar 21, 2011, at 6:24 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>>> I have noticed that all view queries are blocked for some time when I just
>>> change one view.  This seems like it is going to be a serious problem when
>>> my db grows.  Is there someway to avoid this in production?  I've never seen
>>> mysql or any other db block for any reason.
> --
> Mark Hahn
> Website Manager
> 949-229-1012