From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Your Life, On the Couch
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 02:04:00 GMT
On 21 March 2011 14:52, Peter Nolan <peterwnolan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> some states have laws in place that require that both parties be told of the
> recording.  I forget the states that have such laws, but be aware that
> recording someone without their permission could be in violation of some
> state laws.
>
> quick googling turns up the following -
> http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law-america.htm
>
> the states that require both party consent (according to the above link) is
> as follows:
> California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts,
> Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.
>
> -Pete

Not to mention it's common courtesy!

In New Zealand if you're a participant then it's legal even if you
don't tell the other person:
http://www.netlaw.co.nz/crime.cfm?PageID=324

I the US it's not so straightforwards as you might think -
http://m.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/08/covert-iphone-audio-recording/
suggests only if its actually done with intent to commit nefarious
activities.

Cheers
Dave