From Olafur Arason <olaf...@olafura.com>
Subject Re: Full text search - is it coming? If yes, approx when.
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:15:36 GMT
There does not seem to be much understanding that this could be a killer
feature. People are now relying on Lucene which monitors the _changes
feed.

Cloudant has done it's own implementation which I gather through the
information they have published makes a view out of all your word,
they recommend java view because you can then reuse the lexer from
Lucene. Then I think they are reusing the reader of the view to make
their query. They have a similar syntax as Lucene for the query interface.
They are still working on this and I think they don't have that much
incentive to opensource it right away. But they have in past both
opensourced there technology like BigCouch so I think it's more a
matter of when rather then if.

I think this is a good solution for a fulltext search. But I don't think that
the java view does not have direct access to the data so it could be
slow. But cloudant does clustering on view generation so that helps.

But there is also general problem with the current view system where
search technology could be used.

The view are really good at sorting but people are using them to
do key matches which they are not designed for. They beginkey and
endkey are for sorting ranges and are not good for matching which
most resources online are pointing to.

For example when you do:
beginkey = ["key11", "key21"]
endkey = ["key19", "key21"]

You get ["key11","key22"], ["key11", "key23"] ... ["key12","key21"],
["key12","key22"]...
which makes sense when looking up sorting ranges but not using it to
match keys. But you can have a range match lookup but only on the
last key and never on two keys. So this would work:

beginkey = ["key21", "key11"]
endkey = ["key21", "key19"]

The current view interface could be augmented to accept queries
and could make them much more powerful then they currently are
and just using the keys for sorting and selecting which values you
want shown which they are designed to do and do really well.

This would be a killer feature and could use the new infrastructure
from Cloudant search.

And don't tell me the Elastic or Lucene interface could do anything
close to this :)

Regards,
Olafur Arason