From Kai Griffin <...@griffinbyteworks.com>
Subject Re: External process for httpd_global_handlers
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:49:26 GMT
I developed an early prototype of my current project with Flex (Flash),
and ran into this issue early on.  At first, I resolved it by actually
modifying my copy of CouchDB and recompiling it, so that it would handle
a request for the  crossdomain file in the same way that it handles the
welcome response.  That worked fine until I upgraded CouchDB, and
realised I'd forever be patching the thing and it was unlikely to
something that deserved to go into Trunk.

Ultimately, I resolved it in a way that wouldn't break or require
frivolously hacking into the Couch source.  I put the entire Flex/Flash
application into my CouchDB database.  It had quite a number of modules,
images, etc... so I created a script that uploaded all these files, -
including the home index.html - all as attachments to a single Couch
document called "MyApp" (replace with the real name of your
application).   In this way, Flash never bothered to ask for a
crossdomain file, because the domain/port serving the app is the same as
the one serving the data.   My application then became accessible using
a URL like this:

http://www.mydomain.com:5984/MyApp/

(because the webbrowser will automatically try "index.html", that's what
you'll get).

Cheers,
Kai