From Wayne Conrad <wcon...@yagni.com>
Subject Re: Store Databases in /home/$user
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 12:49:05 GMT
On 03/08/2011 03:32 AM, Markus Burrer wrote:

> Can I store local.ini in /home/$user and run CouchDB in user space?

I'm running couchdb in userspace, installed to the user's home
directory.  I did this so that my built-from-source couchdb won't
interfere with the installed-from-package couchdb.  Here's how I did it:

Install the Debian couchdb package.  This is just a lazy way to get a
couchdb user with the home directory /var/lib/couchdb.  There' s nothing
magical about the package.  Create the user and directory manually if
you want, or use an existing user.

Become the user (e.g. "sudo su - couchdb")

Download the source or clone the git tree.

Within the source directory, run ./configure with "--exec-prefix" and
"--prefix" so that the installed files will go somewhere in the user's
home directory.  I used something like this:

$ ./configure --exec-prefix /var/lib/couchdb/custom-install --prefix
/var/lib/couchdb/custom-install/local

Then "make && make install" as usual.  You don't have to do any of it as
root: leave off the "sudo" when you "make install."

You will find binaries in the .ini files in local/etc/couchdb, log files
in local/var/log/couchdb. &c.

To start:  $ local/etc/init.d/couchdb start.

If you want this installation of couchdb to be the system default (start
automatically when the box boots), then replace /etc/init.d/couchdb with
a symlink to local/etc/init.d/couchdb.

I've done this for 0.11.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2 and some version so new that the
paint is still wet.  Worked every time.

Note: I'm an amateur playing in a sandbox with much smarter kids.  Any
or all of the above is likely to be thoroughly silly.