From Wayne Conrad <wa...@databill.com>
Subject Re: Compaction Strategies
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:15:06 GMT
On 03/02/11 15:14, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> Hi Wayne, I don't think there's a satisfactory solution to this at the moment, which
is why I've been working with Bob Dionne to add some more detailed statistics to help inform
that kind of decision-making.  The idea is to add a new field to the response to GET /dbname
(and GET /db/_design/dname/_info) which will report the number of bytes allocated for storage
of "user data"; i.e. latest versions of document bodies and attachments in databases, KV pairs
and reductions in view indexes.  You could then write a script to trigger compaction if the
ratio of "data_size" / disk_size drops below a threshold.

> Bob has a pull request in process for BigCouch; the changes he's making should apply
to CouchDB as well with a little tweaking.

Adam, Thanks.  We'll use some other metric (probably time) to decide
when to compact a database, until something better is possible.  And
thanks for mentioning BigCouch--it's on my list of "things to look at."

Wayne Conrad