From Wayne Conrad <wa...@databill.com>
Subject Compaction Strategies
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:33:06 GMT
We run a compaction script that compacts every database every night.
Compaction of our biggest (0.6 TB) database took about 10 hours today.
Granted, the hardware has poor I/O bandwidth, but even if we improve the
hardware, a change in strategy could be good.  Along with splitting that
database into more manageable pieces, I hope to write a compaction
script that only compacts a database sometimes (a la Postgresql's
autovacuum).  To do that, I want some way to estimate whether there's
anything to gain from compacting any given database.

I thought I could use the doc_del_count returned by GET /<database-name>
as a gauge of whether to compact or not, but in my tests doc_del_count
remained the same after compaction.  Are there any statistics, however
imperfect, that could help my code guess when compaction ought to be done?

Best Regards,
Wayne Conrad