From Martin Hewitt <mar...@thenoi.se>
Subject Re: Views & design documents
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 16:48:19 GMT
On 8 Mar 2011, at 16:44, Simon Metson wrote:

> All views in one design document are calculated together (to minimise serialisation costs
etc). In general this is a Good Thing(TM) as you find your views stay up to date from other
activity. It sounds like this is a Bad Thing for you (maybe a view costs a lot more to calculate
than the others in the design doc. In this case I'd pull out the offending view into it's
own design, but make sure you have something that triggers it to update automatically - if
it's costly you probably want to calculate it over small deltas of the data.
> Cheers
> Simon
> Sent with Sparrow
> On Tuesday, 8 March 2011 at 14:18, Martin Hewitt wrote:

of those views, and the requested view requires a rebuild, will CouchDB rebuild all 5 views
in the document or just the one that was requested?

>>> All 5 views will be rebuilt. Regards,
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> If I were to split the view document into five documents, one for each view, would
only the relevant view be rebuilt or would all views be rebuilt, regardless of how they were
described?

>> Martin

Hi Simon,

Yes, that's exactly my case, and it sounds as if splitting up the views and using periodical
update triggers is exactly the course of action I should take!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Martin