From Nikolai Teofilov <n.teofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: WinCouch
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 21:24:43 GMT

On 14.02.2011, at 19:32, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> On 15 February 2011 01:58, Nikolai Teofilov <n.teofilov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hei Jan,
>>
>> I compile it with wrong switch for all platforms but the GeckoFX is compiled only
for x86 so it crashes on x64 systems. I have already upload another zip file where I fixed
the problem and now it should work as win32 on both x64 and x86 platforms.

>> Here is the link: https://github.com/downloads/koleto/WinCouch/WinCouch-1.0.zip
>> I will commit tonight the source on the https://github.com/koleto/WinCouch.
>>
>> I also reduce the size of the CouchDB binary. The @Dave binaries of the couch 1.0.2
are quite stable so far so i think they could be the next official win release.

>> The WinCouch should work with any win CouchDB release.
>> I am going to put an easy way to configure the start url and the windows form size
so it will be quite useful for development of couchapps on windows with HTML5. On can hide
any part of the GUI so that at the end you can get embedded in FF couchapp in a win form.
>> The code is very simple actually nothing special except some small tricks to stop
the Erlang shell and embed GeckoFX.
>> I was just curious if there will be enough interest to keep working on this project.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nikolai

Hi Dave,

Now I understand how cool it will be to have a .Net application capable of running HTML5 web
applications (couchapp) and in the background running CouchDB, no installation, no browser
needed. You are right about that It could a whole new way for deploying couchapp on windows
as a native windows forms applications.

> Hi Nikolai
>
> Awesome. I will be able to play with the later today & will definitely
> put in some patches for a quick way for people to repackage their
> couchapps - bring on the source!
>

> Some interesting stats from github download pages -
> - couch 1.20 trunk build - downloaded 106 times in 3 weeks
> - couch 1.1 trunk - 23x
> - couch 1.0.2 from release - 48x
> - your wincouch 1.0.0 - 55x in 20h
> - wincouch 1.0.0.1 7x in 9h

Wow! :)

> So I think we have hit the nail on a sweet spot for people here. Any
> feedback from what people were using it for, or wanted?

Just this what you read on the thread. But the 1.0.2 binaries are really stable and I think
ready for release!
I was able to do pull replication from 0.10.2 to 1.0.2 full with attachments and it works
perfectly.
I did a test for the 4 Gb bug and it was okay. All of the core functionality (create, delete,
compact, attach) is working. I still have to do some more tests with replications and will
let you know about the results.

> I'm looking forwards to contributing a lot to this & keeping it up to
> date with the main couch trunk.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

Me too