From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Upgrading, The Definitive Guide...
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:34:25 GMT
On 17 February 2011 14:32, Nicholas Orr <nicholas.orr@zxgen.net> wrote:
> So I currently have databases in 3 versions of CouchDB...
>
> This has happened as I found it was a lot simpler to install (src >
> configure --prefix=/opt/... > make > make install) couchdb into /opt
> and just start it from there, instead dealing with portage (i use
> gentoo)
> And instead of going and checking if the app works with the new
> version, I've just left it as is, working 100%.
>
> Now I'm wondering surely it must be simple to upgrade rather than
> having to replicate the databases using the native replication api.
>
> Looking on the site, installing is covered in depth.
> Looking at the files included with the source, installing is covered in depth.
> Looking at http://guide.couchdb.org/editions/1/en/index.html#part/vi,
> installing is covered in depth.
>
> What about upgrading?
> Do you specify the same --prefix with the configure command, and
> everything "just works"?
>
> Thanks for your insights,
>
> Nicholas

You should be able to upgrade on disk from 0.10.x (at least) onwards
to 1.0.x. There are some other changes that may impact your app so
check here http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Breaking_changes#Changes_Between_0.11.0_and_1.0.0

NB you should still backup first, and then compact afterwards.

Cheers
Dave