From Matt Goodall <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: _changes and filters not working in harmony?
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:58:48 GMT
On 6 February 2011 10:21, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess I'm missing something here, but since your function will
> return false for a deleted document, what's the surprise?
>
> A deleted document is exactly this;
>
> {"_id":"foo","_deleted":true}
>
> It has no type and no attachments, it's therefore filtered out.
>
> if you add 'if (doc._deleted) { return true; }' you'll see the delete
> but, as Randall points out, you'll see all deletes. To solve that, we
> might want to pass either the previous doc *or* simply add the
> _deleted:true field when we delete, meaning that your filter would
> work as-is.

Hmm, having just said that I'd like to see the attributes of document
retained when it's deleted I'm not sure it's as useful as it initially
sounds.

When you're processing a row in a _changes feed there's really no
guarantee that the version of the document you saw last is anything
like the version when it's deleted. In fact, it's entirely possible
the deleted version is the first time you see a document!

So, it could be quite misleading to people writing _changes feed
handlers if the old data is made available.

- Matt