From George Burt <imtrues...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Loading CouchDB to Amazon Linux AMI
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:24:16 GMT
Thanks for all the pointers.  I finally successfully installed on Amazon
Linux stock AMI (this makes me feel better because Amazon offers paid
support for that platform).

It is a Centos 5.5 (at the time of this posting).  The problem is that the
ruby distro code referenced in the couchio installation instructions:
https://github.com/couchone/build-couchdb
does not have an allowance for CentOS.  I have encluded the needed change to
make the Centos distro look like fedora (which is what they recommend for
Red Hat in the instructions - FYI Centos is an opensource version of Red
Hat).

You need to login to the Amazon Linux instance you have created from the AWS
Management Console (instructions for that are not included here).  I have
only tried 32bit, but plan to try 64bit later today.  Login as "ec2-user".
Then the procedure is as follows:

sudo yum install gcc gcc-c++ libtool curl-devel ruby-rdoc zlib-devel
openssl-devel
wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/rubygems-1.3.1-1.el5.noarch.rpm
wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/rubygem-rake-0.8.7-2.el5.noarch.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh rubygem-rake-0.8.7-2.el5.noarch.rpm
rubygems-1.3.1-1.el5.noarch.rpm
ruby --version
curl
sudo yum install git-core
git clone git://github.com/couchone/build-couchdb
cd build-couchdb/
git submodule init
git submodule update
nano tasks/distros.rb

--- Go to the bottom of the file and comment out "nil" and add the line
shown.
#nil
return [:fedora, '5.5']

rake