From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Embeddable CouchDB
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 09:08:08 GMT
On 5 February 2011 16:03, Zdravko Gligic <zgligic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am building an Adobe AIR application and it really hurts even to
> think about using its embedded SQLite, instead of CouchDB because of
> the app's need for client/server replication. Then I read how CouchDB
> is avilable on Android and mobile devices and right of simplicity of
> installation comes to mind - being deployed to such non geekish
> masses.  Then I read something about Jan's CouchDBX.
>
> So, just how difficult would it be to come up with a set of command
> prompt runnable utilities that I could invoke from Adobe AIR or any
> desktop application, that would kickstart an install of CouchDB if it
> is not already installed and then would start whatever [service]
> processes are required to keep it running and usable from my AIR app ?
>
> Can CouchDB be installed to any Windows folder?
> Are there any registries or anything else that is updated?
> What about Erlang and its installation?
> What else is happening in current CouchOne binary install?
>
> Thanks a log,
> Teslan

Hi Teslan

I can't answer your other questions but for CouchDB install on
windows. Let me know if you need more info.

> Can CouchDB be installed to any Windows folder?

- yes it can - there are silent install options using the inno5 installer
    http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php & http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/
you'll end up with something like this:
setup.exe /silent /dir="c:\relaxing\folder"

caveats - if the Visual C++ runtime needs updating this might in some
cases require a reboot.

> Are there any registries or anything else that is updated?

there's no significant registry entries - just enough to drive the
uninstaller. All the later config settings happen in the couchdb ini
files in %installdir%\etc\couchdb\

If you install as a service then there are other requirements
obviously like any service you'll need to have sufficient permissions
to do so.

> What about Erlang and its installation?

ditto as above. The main thing is that erlang runs install.exe
post-install to ensure it is in the "right" directory - updating 2
copies (yup 2) of erl.ini.

> What else is happening in current CouchOne binary install?

I've not looked at this but I think the intent was to provide an
install that can be unpacked in your home folder & "just works". Let
us know what you find out when you try it.

Cheers
Dave