From Wayne Conrad <wa...@databill.com>
Subject Replication: stalled?
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:18:39 GMT
I'm seeing replication behavior that I don't understand.  I wonder if
it's stalled.

I've got two couchdb servers, each with four databases.  A cron job runs
once a minute and tells each server to do continuous replication from
each database on the other server.  What I'm seeing for one of the
databases has me confused: I see, in the couch.log for the "source"
database, 'GET' entries consistent with the source database fetching
documents and their attachments.  But on the destination database, the
fetched documents and attachments do not appear.

To answer the question, "Are the GET entries coming from some other
instance of couchdb?", I stopped couchdb on the destination server.  The
'GET' entries in the log of the source server stopped.  I then restarted
the destination couchdb server and the log entries resumed.

Futon on the source database shows:
   Overview:
     Name: ps
     Size: 181.5 GB
     Number of Documents: 43,090
     Update Seq: 43,741

Futon on the destination database shows:
   Overview:
     Name: ps
     Size: 58.3 GB
     Number of Documents: 6,107
     Update Seq: 6,114

The status on the destination database has been "Starting" since I
restarted couchdb on the destination server about 15 minutes ago.

Both the source and destination databases are being written to by user
processes on an intermittent basis: anywhere from 0 to a few dozen
documents per minute, each document with up to a few dozen megabytes of
attachments.

I see no error entries in either the source or destination server's
couch.log.

Versions:
   Couchdb: 1.0.2
   OS: Linux 2.6.32 (AMD 64)

Why don't I see any documents being added to the destination database?