From Keith Gable <zi...@ignition-project.com>
Subject Re: native support for url-shorteners and qr codes?
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:17:27 GMT
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Nikolai Teofilov <koleto@me.com> wrote:
>> I'm just curious why not ship couchdb with native support for url shorteners and
qr codes. This might be very helpful.

> why native support ?

+1.

My 2 cents follow:

CouchDB is a database... You wouldn't SELECT QR_CODE() FROM users
WHERE id = '1234' or SELECT BITLY_URL('appid', 'secret') FROM articles
WHERE id = '1234'.

Also, assume that CouchDB is able to figure out the self-referential
URL for an object. Is that what you want in the QR code? If the
document describes a person, wouldn't you want the QR code to have
their contact info in it? Or if you're in manufacturing and the
document describes a product, wouldn't you want the QR code to have
tracking information, like what machine made it, when, and so on?

It's application logic - put it in the application layer.. which
could, in the case of a CouchApp, also be in JavaScript, but it could
just as easily be your Ruby app or your shell script...

--
Keith Gable
A+ Certified Professional