From Cory Zue <c...@dimagi.com>
Subject Re: schema-driven data entry UI
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:56:47 GMT
While everyone is discussing this, you might also consider using
XForms [1].  XForms is a standard way to do protocol-driven forms that
supports pretty complicated repeat and branching logic.  My
organization wrote an application called couchforms [2] that takes
XForm submissions and sucks them in to CouchDB as json documents.
Couchforms is meant to be used in a django app, but the whole
parsing/doc creation happens in a single update handler [3] which
means you can post the XForms directly to couch and leave out django
entirely if you want.  There are lots of advantages to using XForms,
which will keep your data-entry UI decoupled from your storage/couch,
and the form can be easily ported to other platforms (e.g.  Android
using OpenDataKit [4]).  The wikipedia xforms link points to a lot of
other options, as well as some browser plug-ins to enter XForms in a
browser.

cheers,
Cory

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XForms