From Chris Stockton <chrisstockto...@gmail.com>
Subject dbcopy - A faster alternative to replication
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:58:22 GMT
Hello,

After some discussion about user migration and issues with 1GIG+ sized
databases, it seems we will not be able to use replication for copying
databases. We have seen the speed offered by rsync/cp in comparison to
replication in couchdb. Our thoughts currently lie in a external
handler to make this a bit easier, rsync / ssh user permissions across
our server draws away from some of our security methodologies but it
is workable.

My question is could(or would rather) a efficient database copy ever
be implemented in couch similar to the way replication API works? One
that optimized both local server and remote server database copying.
If no future plans exist what would be the possible implementation
details, roadmap/business rules holding such a feature back? Does
anyone else have any sort of need or desire for faster, built in
database copying?

Kind Regards,

-Chris