From David Santiago <david.santi...@gmail.com>
Subject How to debug a view server (that I didn't write)?
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:54:00 GMT
 Hey guys, I've been googling around trying to solve this problem for a while now and I just
haven't been successful. I'm trying to figure out how to debug a particular problem I'm having
with a view server (specifically, the Clojure one in https://github.com/ashafa/clutch).

I've got the view server working, at least in that CouchDB (1.0.1) seems to be spawning the
process successfully. I've even got a few views defined and working. Every time I've defined
a new view in Clojure and updated the design document on my database, this has caused a surge
in CPU usage and couchdb to be come unresponsive when the views are queried (regular operations
on documents themselves continue to work). The logs start infinitely spewing things like

[Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:25:06 GMT] [error] [<0.221.0>] OS Process Error <0.487.0>
:: {os_process_error,"OS process timed out."}

[Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:25:11 GMT] [error] [<0.221.0>] OS Process Error <0.495.0>
:: {os_process_error,"OS process timed out."}

[Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:25:16 GMT] [error] [<0.221.0>] OS Process Error <0.503.0>
:: {os_process_error,"OS process timed out."}

Somehow I've at one point or another managed to make this stop happening and the view started
working OK. I'm not sure how this happened, though. Last night, I added a view and I haven't
been able to straighten it out once this started happening. I removed the new map function,
and the views went back to working correctly. So it appears that it's something with adding
a new view.

Now, I'm sure that this is something in the view server, but I can't figure out how to find
it. I've actually started the view server and manually had conversations with it by typing
in the protocol here: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/View_server. That seems to work fine
for the small conversations I can have manually.

So what I'm wondering is if there is some way to make couchdb log the communication that happens
with the view server. I've tried to find a way to do this, and I suspect the answer is going
to be that I should start adding logging to the view server, but I thought I'd ask first in
case there is an easier way.

 Thanks
David