That is exactly what the problem was. Thank you

Ning Tan
December 11, 2010 1:12 PM

Don't you need a comma between map and reduce fields?

Chris Johnson
December 11, 2010 12:56 PM

I am new to couch and trying to get my arms around the map/reduce function. I am using exmaples from the web as well as the tutorials in the O'Reilly book as a guide. I have an understanding of the map function, but when I try to introduce the reduce function to my file I get a bad request error when I try to import it.

{"error":"bad_request","reason":"invalid UTF-8 JSON"}

Basically what I am doing is importing a session table from a firewall into couch and then using a reduce function to count the number of sessions for a given host. What I have is

{
    "_id" : "_design/example",
    "_rev" : "8-849766ce1eb8eedaa2353a408a3aaaf2",
    "views" : {
        "foo" : {
            "map" : "function(doc){
                if(doc.in_dstPort == '443') emit(doc.in_dstIP, 1);
            }"

            "reduce" : "function(key, values, rereduce){
                return sum(values);
            }"

        }
    }
}

I have narrowed it down the to the reduce function but just cant seem to isolate the issue. I know it is something minor that I am missing.

Thanks in advance for your help