From Huw Selley <huw.sel...@netdev.co.uk>
Subject Re: Comparison of MongoDB & CouchDB: MongoDB seems better on insert
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:30:01 GMT
Hi,

On 21 Dec 2010, at 04:14, Anand Chitipothu wrote:

>> [...]
>> Generally the question that tends to matter is: Can view generation
>> keep up with inserts, on average? Once the index is built, responses
>> to it are fast, so the index build time matters. On desktop-class
>> hardware, I tend to expect between 500-1000 documents per second can
>> be processed (for documents about as complex and large as a tweet). Of
>> course this # will vary widely depending on hardware and the # of keys
>> you emit.
>> [...]
>
> In my experience, I've seen that view generation starts with a speed
> of 1000 docs/secs and drops to less than 50 docs/sec as the size of
> view file increases.

I have been doing some testing recently on server grade hardware and processing docs of about
1K each and emitting a small amount of data. I found that the rate of processing was pretty
good overall - just over 2100/s. I didn't grow my databases past 6 Million docs though.

Of course  as Chris says your stats will vary depending on hardware and what is emitted.