From Florian Leitner <florian.leit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and XULJet for development of desktop applications
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:30:36 GMT
Hi Pavel,

If I understood all your explanations correctly so far, XULRunner
could actually be the "silver bullet" I was looking for. I think that
something has struck me like a lightning after reading your
explanations a few times: Why do a web interface at all?? As you write
right in the first line:

> XULRunner cannot serve web pages. It can only display them.

Well, so I just connect to any CouchDB that has my data via XULRunner
- in essence, it is already almost a browser, anyways, as its part of
the Firefox UI - so I could build a CouchDB "browser" that connects to
CouchDB and serves the content I put there, including the views, and
even administer it from the XULRunner/Jet app. On the other hand,
because of XULRunner, I am no longer confined to the Same Origin
Policy. So, to explain a bit more what I want to do, let me know if
that would work out:

The user gets an app that is build on XULRunner and XULJet and can
connect to a CouchDB instance. This XUL-app then can display data that
CouchDB holds, much as I was thinking of already; You could even admin
the CouchDB from inside that XULRunner/Jet app. But then, the user can
also browse to any webpage **inside** XULRunner, "grab" that page, and
put it into his CouchDB. This could be either real visual browsing and
scraping the web page, or by sending a request from inside XULRunner
to some URL that, for example, returns JSON or XML REST data, and then
that data gets dumped into CouchDB and he can work with it, all from
inside XULRunner/Jet. As it is cross-platform, this approach will work
on most platforms, too (and I'm happy if I'm good enough to get the
big three with one interface, anyways, for now).

So, I assume this is possible with XULJet based on XULRunner, correct?
Thanks again for your patience with me and your verrry informative
answers!

Regards,
Florian