From Pavel Krivanek <pavel.kriva...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and XULJet for development of desktop applications
Date Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:53:37 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Florian Leitner
<florian.leitner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> If I understood all your explanations correctly so far, XULRunner
> could actually be the "silver bullet" I was looking for. I think that
> something has struck me like a lightning after reading your
> explanations a few times: Why do a web interface at all?? As you write
> right in the first line:
>
>> XULRunner cannot serve web pages. It can only display them.
>
> Well, so I just connect to any CouchDB that has my data via XULRunner
> - in essence, it is already almost a browser, anyways, as its part of
> the Firefox UI

XULRunner is in fact something like standalone Gecko. You can run
XULRunner applications directly in Firefox with -app argument or to
the contrary run Firefox as XULRunner application
(/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6/application.ini in my system, this case the
application doesn't use only JavaScript)

> - so I could build a CouchDB "browser" that connects to
> CouchDB and serves the content I put there, including the views, and
> even administer it from the XULRunner/Jet app. On the other hand,
> because of XULRunner, I am no longer confined to the Same Origin
> Policy. So, to explain a bit more what I want to do, let me know if
> that would work out:
>
> The user gets an app that is build on XULRunner and XULJet and can
> connect to a CouchDB instance. This XUL-app then can display data that
> CouchDB holds, much as I was thinking of already; You could even admin
> the CouchDB from inside that XULRunner/Jet app. But then, the user can
> also browse to any webpage **inside** XULRunner, "grab" that page, and
> put it into his CouchDB. This could be either real visual browsing and
> scraping the web page, or by sending a request from inside XULRunner
> to some URL that, for example, returns JSON or XML REST data, and then
> that data gets dumped into CouchDB and he can work with it, all from
> inside XULRunner/Jet. As it is cross-platform, this approach will work
> on most platforms, too (and I'm happy if I'm good enough to get the
> big three with one interface, anyways, for now).
>
> So, I assume this is possible with XULJet based on XULRunner, correct?
> Thanks again for your patience with me and your verrry informative
> answers!

If you will create XULRunner application, you will start with a XUL or
HTML content that must be placed in chrome (within the application
directories). That pages and scripts have privileged rights so they
can access to local sources (like files nad processes) or they can
send Ajax requests to any source you like. It is not a problem to
download and eval an external JavaScript file and extend your
application with an externally served code this way. For example the
SeasideXUL uses only a small JavaScript code and document templates on
the client and it downloads the rest of the necessary libraries from a
Smalltalk web server.

So the content provided (even indirectly) by chrome has rights you
need. With the XMLHttpRequests you can get everything you like and
process it.

But if you want to display whole external page and you will use iframe
for it, the content inside the frame DOESN'T have privileged rights.
On the other hand you can display content from any source (for example
http://www.google.com) and you have DOM access to the document in the
iframe so you can modify it by DOM manipulations or get its source
code etc.

The second option is to get data from an external source using Ajax
and by DOM manipulations to modify the document in the privileged
chrome context.

So I think that it is possible to do what you want and it should not
be hard and if you will use HTML instead of XUL then you will need no
new special knowledge.

There are not many general JavaScript XULRunner applications but for
example Pencil (http://pencil.evolus.vn/en-US/ScreenShots.aspx) shows
that it is possible to use it even for quite complex desktop
applications.

Chees,
-- Pavel