From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject RE: Revision limit per-document
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:32:21 GMT
This CouchOne blog post on simple versioning with CouchDB might be interesting: http://blog.couchone.com/post/632718824/simple-document-versioning-with-couchdb

Nils.
Van: Sebastian Cohnen [sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com]
Verzonden: zaterdag 18 december 2010 11:27
Aan: user@couchdb.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: Revision limit per-document

This question was asked serval times in the past. And there was some discussion about that
too. ASFAIK there are no plans currently to implement document versioning.

I'm not sure about the implications. If you are on one node what might work is to say, that
you want to keep 10 versions around (even after compaction). But what happens when replication
is involved and you get document versions replicated to your node? suddenly (after compaction)
you have still 10 versions around, but some from your local, some from another node, some
of them in conflict.

I think there were some more and other problems involved around that, but I think that this
feature won't be around for some time.

On 18.12.2010, at 11:12, Svein Helge Grinden wrote:

> Do you think document versioning is something that will be implemented in future releases
of CouchDB?

> On 18. des. 2010, at 10:54, Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> you cannot. revisions are only for concurrency control to handle conflicts when replicating.
If you need a document versioning you need to build that by yourself.

>> On 18.12.2010, at 10:45, Svein Helge Grinden wrote:
>>
>>> How can I set up CouchDB to keep the last 10 revisions of each document after
compaction?

will keep around 10 revisions of each document. If there is no conflict, only the current
version is kept around after compaction.

 VPRO   www.vpro.nl