From Wayne Conrad <wcon...@yagni.com>
Subject Multiple couchdb servers, same box
Date Sat, 01 Jan 2011 22:18:55 GMT
Hello.  I'm trying to start a second couchdb server on a box which
already has one running, but the second one will not accept
connections.  However, if I stop the first one before starting the
second one, it _does_ accept connections.

For the second instance, I'm tacking on another .ini file to override
the obvious things: port, log location, database directory, &c.  I'll
bet I missed something.  What should I look for?

Versions:

     Debian Testing ("squeeze")
     Couchdb 0.11.0-2.3 (the -2.3 bit is Debian bookkeeping)
     When I run erl, it says: Erlang R14A (erts-5.8) [source] [smp:2:2]
[rq:2] [async-threads:0] [kernel-poll:false]

The command line to start the second couchdb:

     sudo couchdb -a /tmp/second.ini

The contents of /tmp/second.ini

     [couchdb]
     database_dir = /tmp/second
     view_index_dir = /tmp/second

     [httpd]
     port = 1024
     bind_address = 127.0.0.1

     [log]
     file = /tmp/second.log

The config files in /etc/couchdb are "stock", as they come when Debian
installed the package.  Couchdb is binding to port 5984.  I'll not
include those config files in this already longish post.  If you need to
see all or part of them, just ask.

Here's what it looks like when the second couchdb doesn't work (because
the first couchdb is running):

     # Start the first couchdb
     $ sudo /etc/init.d/couchdb start
     Starting database server: couchdb.

     # Start the second one
     $ sudo couchdb -a /tmp/second.ini
     Apache CouchDB is running as process 13405, time to relax.

     # Get the list of databases (fail)
     $ wget http://localhost:1024/_all_dbs
     --2011-01-01 15:01:23--  http://localhost:1024/_all_dbs
     Resolving localhost... 127.0.0.1
     Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:1024... failed: Connection refused.

Here's what it looks like when the second couchdb works (because the
first couchdb is stopped):

     # Stop the first couchdb
     $ sudo /etc/init.d/couchdb stop
     Stopping database server: couchdb.

     # Start the second one & background it
     $ sudo couchdb -a /tmp/second.ini
     Apache CouchDB 0.11.0 (LogLevel=info) is starting.
     Apache CouchDB has started. Time to relax.
     [info] [<0.31.0>] Apache CouchDB has started on http://127.0.0.1:1024/
     ^Z
     [1]+  Stopped                 sudo couchdb -a /tmp/second.ini
     $ bg
     [1]+ sudo couchdb -a /tmp/second.ini &

     # Get the list of databases (ok)
     $ wget -q -O - http://localhost:1024/_all_dbs
     []
     [info] [<0.211.0>] 127.0.0.1 - - 'GET' /_all_dbs 200