From Chris Johnson <csj...@yahoo.com>
Subject Database size variation
Date Sat, 18 Dec 2010 02:19:17 GMT
I have a script that logs into a firewall, exports the session table,
parses it and writes a subset of the data to a database. Each session is
a doc in the database. Currently, because of the way the database is
exported, it is serialized and each doc is written to the database one
by one. The database that is generated is extremely large. For example,
the last database had 1.5M documents. As part of this process, the most
recent database is replicated to another database witha known name.

One thing I just noticed is the replicated database is significantly
smaller in size. As an example, the database that I referred to above is
11+ Gig in size, but the replicated database is only 4 Gigs. Everything
between the two databases appears to be consistent and the number
records/update sequences are identical, so why such a variation in size?

Chris