From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comparison of MongoDB & CouchDB: MongoDB seems better on insert
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:02:21 GMT
Hi,

On 20 Dec 2010, at 22:32, Chenini, Mohamed wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found this info on the net at http://www.slideshare.net/danglbl/schemaless-databases
> [...]
> Does anyone knows if this was verified?

I think the author's comment on slide 35 sums it up pretty nicely:

"Of course this is just one (lame) test."

Coming up good numbers is hard which means that people with easy ways to make them come up
with bad ones.

I've written about the difficulties on benchmarks databases on my blog:

  http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/175-Benchmarks-You-are-Doing-it-Wrong.html
  http://jan.prima.de/~jan/plok/archives/176-Caveats-of-Evaluating-Databases.html

They should give you a few pointers on why this is hard.

--

To the point: CouchDB generally performs best with concurrent load. In the case of loading
data into CouchDB, bulk requests* will speed up things again. To push CouchDB to a write limit,

* http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Bulk_Document_API

Unfortunately this means that these one-off benchmarks don't show any good numbers for CouchDB,
yet fortunately this shows easily that these one-off benchmarks don't really reflect common
real-world usage and should be discouraged.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any more questions :)

Cheers
Jan