From Andy <andrh...@hotmail.com>
Subject simple use cases for couch db
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 04:18:51 GMT

So Ive been obsessively reading about and researching CouchDB over the past couple weeks.
 I even wrote my own Java client since the ones on the market weren't up to my standards :)
 I've probably read 200 articles on google explaining the downsides to CouchDB.  I've read
the Use Cases on Couch.io.  Ive read Jan's book, 10 times.  And still I have this one overwhelming
question - what can I use it for???

Im a java developer.  I work in a large enterprise but I also do lots of home projects.  At
work we use Oracle with Hibernate for Java ORM.  At home I use MySQL.  For attachments I use
a CDN.  Can anyone explain what real uses I could use CouchDB for?  Does it help reporting,
does it let me index info for that little search bar on most sites, etc?  It sounds like it
isn't great for reporting since people are mixing it with Solr and Lucene and Elastic Search,
correct?  It would be cool to write a site with no middleware (php, java, etc) but I dont
plan on doing that anytime soon.  I did just read a great thesis on that though :)  The offline
access feature will be huge one day.

Its people like me that kinda like what we hear, we know we love REST and JSON and built in
http server, the replication and clustering and load balancing honestly doesn't mean that
much to me.  The no transactions freaks me out, so does the no ad-hoc querying, but I'd love
to learn more.  I would like to use it if I just knew for what.  Just a few simple use cases
that aren't super specific to someones bizarre business process.  How has it helped you?
Sorry, Ive been waiting all week to ask this question.  I REALLY think this is a great community
and I can't wait to learn more and help promote the uses of this technology.  Thanks-