From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Couch and Varnish
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:22:27 GMT
Hi Karel, the last time I looked into this I came to the same conclusions as you have here.
 Regards,

Adam

On Nov 7, 2010, at 5:28 AM, Karel Minařík wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to ask if anyone has some experience to share regarding accelerating Couch with
Varnish. I think lots of us are doing it, but can't find too much info around.

> Originally, I thought it would be possible to use ETags with some proper Varnish configuration
(eg. "accumulate" concurrent requests and pass only one to the backend, etc), but that seems
not to be possible, since Varnish does not pass ETags to the backend [http://lists.varnish-cache.org/pipermail/varnish-misc/2010-November/004997.html].

> As I understand it now, the only way how to cache Couch's response would be with time-based
caching, and either using the cached response until it auto-expires, or expire the cached
response via PURGE commands.

> Of course, it would be possible and technically trivial to send purge requests via the
_changes feed or via the "update_notification" mechanism. As I see it, the tricky part would
be to know which objects to purge, based on individual document changes. Because not only
single documents, but also aggregated view results or fulltext queries would get cached. Of
course, "there are two hard thing in computer science ...".