From Wordit Ltd <>
Subject Re: Update handler doc ids
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:00:45 GMT

Thanks for the confirmation on the doc ID. I need to update a doc
belonging to the logged in user. If I use a field like "owner":
"username" then I would need to find the doc ID first. Don't you lose
the advantage of an update handler by first doing a read request?

I mean you might as well do a standard read then a write. Two calls.
Update handlers have the advantage of a single db call, or not?

To use an update handler, I need the ID. I figured that if I set the
doc ID to be the username, which is unique, then I can send the
username as the doc ID to the update handler. Is there anything wrong
with that approach?

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Zachary Zolton
<> wrote:
> Update handlers can't query the database nor access external
> resources. They just update or create a single document based on the
> HTTP request (and the current document object, in the case of updating
> an existing document).
> Moreover, if you want to update a document, you'll need to provide the
> ID. So, you can either construct the ID from variables available at
> that point in your program, or make a query to find the doc ID before
> calling your update handler.
> Give this a read:
> If you provide more background about your scenario, I can give you
> more explicit advice.
> Cheers,
> Zach
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Wordit Ltd <> wrote:
>> Do update handlers require the doc id, or is it possible to search for
>> the doc as with views?
>> I need to update the document belonging to the logged in user. (I'll
>> use a validation function to check that.)
>> The only workaround I could think of is using the username as the doc
>> id. Then I call the update handler with .../handler/username?param=x
>> Marcus

View raw message