From Benjamin Young <benja...@couchone.com>
Subject Re: Why or when is data local ?
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:32:18 GMT
Marcus,

CouchDB is available on Android via the CouchOne Platform installer:
http://www.couchone.com/android There's work being done for the other
platforms as well. Palm's WebOS has a compatible replication API for their
"db8" system (for what that's worth).

Lawnchair doesn't currently offer replication (that I know of), but there
are similar projects that do. Browser Couch is one, but development on it
has stalled (I think):
http://hg.toolness.com/browser-couch/raw-file/blog-post/index.html

There's also discussion/work being done in relation to the IndexedDB system
being worked on in the standards communities. If it eventually offers
CouchDB-compatible replication then you could replicate data in and out of
the browser.

Ideally, though, having it stored in a full-on CouchDB instance would give
you the best option as you could also run applications, map/reduce, etc--not
just data storage.

You could also use the more "typical" offline options that HTML5 and an
integrated SQLite DB offer, but then you'd be mixing metaphors (as it were)
and that can be frustrating and confusing to develop.

Hope that helps,
Benjamin