From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multi columns
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:29:14 GMT
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:54, Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, CouchDB doesn't have this feature.  I disagree with sgoto that
> the crash-only design prohibits it, however. Certainly the server
> would have to append the entire modified record to the data store, but
> that doesn't mean the entire document has to go over the wire back and
> forth between the server and the client.  As long as the modification
> was anchored to a specific _rev, it would just be shorthand for the
> GET, PUT sequence currently required.

With the durability guarantees from Couch there are two options:
1) Always re-write the whole document ("row")
2) Deal with document fragmentation. If I recall correctly, this is
why range queries over super-columns in Cassandra can be very slow.

It'd be a deep change to support this kind of behavior. You may want
to consider breaking your documents up into pieces and using a view to
reconstruct the fully denormalized documents.

-Randall