From "Mark J. Reed" <markjr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bulk Updates in CouchDB
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:17:58 GMT
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Karel Minařík <karel.minarik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, could you explain a bit how it should work? (Because the way I
> understand it, you have to iterate over _all_ the docs and check `if
> doc.value == xxx` in the client code? That'd be impossible for large data
> sets.)

Given /mydb/_design/mydd with the following (I'm not bothering with
quotation marks, so this isn't copy/pasteable):

views: { foo: { map: function(doc) { emit(doc.value, doc._rev) } } }

Then you fetch this:

/mydb/_design/mydd/_view/foo?key="xxx"

Which will include the doc id's and revisions of all the matching
docs. Then you use that result to build up a request like this:

{ docs:  [ { _id: someid, _rev: itsrev, _deleted: true }, { _id:
someotherid, ...} ] }

Which you then post to /mydb/_bulk_docs, and then all the matching
docs are deleted, with only two HTTP round-trips.

For selective updating, you can use an update handler to modify a
document "in-place" without first fetching and then storing the whole
thing, but then you can't do that in bulk.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>