From Sig Lange <>
Subject Re: CouchDB on debian?
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2010 02:41:22 GMT
Manually rebuilding a package from source is not that hard on debian
but does require *some* knowledge of packaging.

I did this to get latest version running on lenny. One must uupdate
both erlang and couchdb but it was rather painless.

section 9.3 New upstream release from has the

I could probably even provide detailed instructions if you ask nicely.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Gabriel Farrell <> wrote:
> If you're looking to just get an up-and-running, recent CouchDB, you
> may want to check out some of the options at
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Michael Zedeler <> wrote:
>> Hi everybody.
>> I am having a major headache trying to install the latest CouchDB (1.0.1) on
>> debian 5.0.
>> It turns out that the latest available version of CouchDB on debian is
>> version 0.8. In CouchDB-terms that release is lightyears behind version
>> 1.0.1. We simply can't use version 0.8 because of the changes in the API
>> that were introduced later.
>> I decided to try compiling from source, but got stuck because erlang version
>> 5.6.5 (or later) isn't available either (debian 5.0 provides version 5.6.3).
>> This means that I'd be forced to not only maintain my own build of CouchDB,
>> but erlang as well.
>> Besides switching to the testing distribution, does anyone have any
>> suggestions?
>> What other platforms are known to be stable wrt. CouchDB hosting? I found
>> that Arch Linux supports CouchDB 1.0.1, but I have no experience maintaining
>> machines running this distribution.
>> Regards,
>> Michael.

View raw message