From Zdravko Gligic <zgli...@gmail.com>
Subject User app activity Logging
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2010 19:40:21 GMT
Hi Folks,

I have a community use case where I need to track:
a) user id
b) user action
c) doc._id
e) date.time

Wiki talks about short doc._id values making a huge difference on
storage and performance. I am assuming that the same arguments also
apply to view indexing as it uses the same b-tree indexing.

Somewhere I have read that numeric values compare faster than strings,
so I am thinking about using decimals for date.time in yymmdd.hhmmss
format. Comments on this?

For parts of the application, I need to keep track of all such logs in
order to retain "user's slice" of what they have done. That is I would
need to keep longer the ByUserId view, while ByDocId and/or ByDateTime
views can be reduced for all of the logs that are older than x number
of days.

While it is somewhat of an open ended question, can you share some
design suggestions?

Thanks again,
teslan