From "rpkeane@gmail.com" <rpke...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Write race conditions, working without _rev
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:02:39 GMT

----- Reply message -----
From: "Luciano Ramalho" <luciano@ramalho.org>
Date: Sat, Nov 6, 2010 15:52
Subject: Write race conditions, working without _rev
To: <user@couchdb.apache.org>

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the second case, the second person to write the document wins,
> erasing any changes the first write's effects. The first writer will
> then be in a state where his view of the database will be
> inconsistent. The thing his, he can't know because without requiring a
> _rev token he'll never get a notification of any sort of error.

As I understand, the situation you describe above never happens in
practice with CouchDB. A second PUT to the same document _id will
always require the _rev attribute, so there's no way to overwrite a
previous update by accident. This is one of the best features of
CouchDB for document-oriented persistency.

--
Luciano Ramalho
programador repentista || stand-up programmer