From Volker Mische <>
Subject Re: Multi-dimensional queries?
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:28:33 GMT
Hi Michael,

On 11/09/2010 07:14 AM, Michael Zedeler wrote:
> Hi CouchDB-users (and developers).
> Thanks for a great product and very useful discussions on the mailing list.
> Does anyone know if there has been an effort into making
> multi-dimensional queries possible?
> Given a d-dimensional keyspace, I'd like to be able to get all elements
> in a d-dimensinal hypercube. It could be implemented using kd-trees.
> Any thoughts?
> Regards,
> Michael.

You could use an kd-tree, though I'd prefer a multidimensional variation
of the r-tree. The reason is, that the kd-tree is space partitioning,
which means you need to know the range the keys are in upfront (or do
some tricks which will make it more like an r-tree).

In an r-tree you partition the data, so your data structure grows as
data from outside the current maximum range comes in.

I'd love to see a multidimensional index, but atm I'm still busy with my
2-dimensional index. So if you'd like to hack on it and need any help,
let me know.

View raw message