From Jeff Gorder <jeffgor...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating databases on demand
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2010 06:10:18 GMT
I have a case where there is a main public database that serves my application and then will
need to have a private database for each user. I've gotten this to work manually and automatically
when logged in as a server admin.

I understand that there are server admins that have full control over the installation and
that they are managed by making entries into the .ini file and that there are database admins
as well. In the "Definitive Guide" it's made clear that only admin users are allowed to create
databases and design documents but it's not clear if those are server admins, database admins,
or both.

How do I create the database/design doc for a new user? It's not practical to require someone
who is a server admin to log on to Futon to do it. If a user is a database admin in the main
application database, does that give them permission to create a new database?

The second question is how to access the database ACL. I have found that it's stored at dbasename/_security
but haven't found any documentation about an API to it. Is there one?

Thanks